We’ve all had copier and printer sales people try to convince us that by buying their particular brand that we can save money and be more green. There are also fantastic tools you can purchase, but what about improved sustainability on a budget? Are there ways for us to make a big difference for our planet without having to spend a bunch of money? Here are 5 free ways to be more green without spending any more green:
1. Understand your current footprint: In a previous blog I wrote entitled “Green Is The New Black” there are some great free tools to measure your current environmental footprint. You need to know where you are before you can plan where you want to go!
2. Stop printing emails: It’s just a little email, what could it hurt? A lot actually. Often times email and web printing account for nearly 30% of total print volumes. In my 10 years plus of conducting print assessments with tools like Print Audit 6, customers are always surprised by this fact. It can take some getting used to but you should be able to digest email content on your desktop, laptop, or smartphone.
3. Configure printing devices to duplex: Most organizations print over 95% of their print volume “single sided”. Sure, for customer facing presentations you want only the best, but for most other jobs duplexing is fine. Talk to your IT Department about setting the printing default to “duplex” and select single sided printing only when necessary. This simple trick can reduce your paper spend by up to half!
4. Ensure toner cartridges and devices are recycled: There is no need to just throw away empty cartridges and dead printing devices. There are tons of vendors who will make it easy for you by coming to your office to pick them up, and most of these vendors will pay you to do so!
5. Use recycled or non-tree fibre paper: There is no need to buy “new” paper anymore. There are a lot of high quality recycled paper options as well as many that are made from highly renewable resources like sugarcane. To learn more about options you can read a previous blog I wrote called “Taking Trees Out Of The Paper Equation”.
You will be surprised at just how much money you’ll save with these simple hacks and you’ll feel better about what you are doing for the environment, all without spending a dime.
Now it’s your turn! What free tips do you have that have worked for your organization to reduce your environmental footprint while saving valuable dollars? Your voice matters, so be sure to leave your comments!